Sunday, August 17, 2014

Summer Tomato Tart

So today I finally bought my tart pans I have been eyeing forever at Michael's Craft Store, and what a deal when you have a 40% off coupon, right?! I think yes!

            
  


Aren't they beautiful?? 
Yeah. I think so too!


Now! For tonight's dinner. I have to say... It tastes like a sophisticated pizza!
Minus the sauce and cheese and toppings. Ha Ha if that makes any sense.

Let's get started!

You Will Need:
Tart Shell (Pâte Brisée) *
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 stick Butter, cut into cubes and chilled
1/2 tsp Salt
1 egg
4-5 TB ICE COLD Water
*If you don't want to make Tart crust by hand you can always store buy one.

Tomato Filling
6 medium Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced 
(I used Yellow, Red, and Orange Combo but any tomatoes will do and heirlooms would be gorgeous as well!)
8-11 oz. Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
(Or normal cherry tomatoes)
1 TB Dijon Mustard
1 TB Sour Cream
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Dried Basil
1 TB Fresh Basil, Torn


I love the vibrant colors of these on vine tomatoes!


And the combo with the Heirloom Cherry tomatoes is stunning. Wait until you see the tart!



Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.

Then, combine flour, salt and cold butter cubes and mix until it resembles coarse sand texture. (Crumbly) The colder the butter the better. It will help create a super flaky crust! Make a well in the middle of your flour mixture and add egg and 2 tablespoons of ice cold water and mix until dough comes together. Add 2 more tablespoons of water if needed. 


 
Form a dough ball and refrigerate for an hour of freeze it for 15 mins.

Roll out dough about 3 inches wider than the pan being used then fill fan and press sides down until all in tact. Trim the excess dough and tidy up the edges. Use a fork to poke a few holes into the bottom of the crust to prevent it from bubbling. 


Mix Dijon and Sour Cream together and spread on bottom of tart. It will be A VERY VERY thin layer so don't worry, it will be just the right amount. Trust me.

Next, fill your tart with sliced tomatoes however you choose to arrange them. I like to overlap them in circles. 



Mix together salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, dried basil and oregano, and sprinkle over tomatoes.
  

Bake 20 mins.


Remove tart from oven and arrange cherry tomatoes on top and sprinkle torn fresh basil on top and bake for another 20-30 mins (or until crust is golden brown and cherry tomatoes start to blister)


You can serve this fresh out of the oven, room temperature or even cold the next day out of the fridge.
:)




I really hope you all fall in love with this as much as I have.


Did you every think you would eat a savory tart that wasn't a quiche?!
Now you can say you have once you make this.

Speaking of quiche, I will have to try this as a quiche. Egg, Spinach, Basil, Tomatoes, Mozzarella or Smoked Gouda?! Wow, I know what my weekend project will be. 

<3


Thanks for cooking with me tonight!
Bon Appétit!

xoxo 

Megan-Noelle

You Can Print The Recipe HERE

This Recipe was adapted from: The Framed Table

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I'm already in love and haven't even tried this, yet. Can't wait to make it. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fave quiche recipe is spinach with tomatoes and swiss cheese! Love the food blog :D

    Gorgeous pics!

    -Stephanie from Steepster ;)

    ReplyDelete